Know an Amazing Kid?
The City of Elmhurst’s Commission on Youth is currently seeking nominees for its annual Exemplary Youth Service Awards, which will be presented on Thursday, April 28, 2022, at 7:00 PM at Sandburg Middle School. All volunteers, nominators, and their guests will be invited to the City of Elmhurst Exemplary Youth Service Awards and all nominated volunteers will be recognized as part of the program.
- Volunteer must be an Elmhurst resident (Elmhurst address) live within School District 205 boundaries or attend an Elmhurst school.
- Volunteer must be elementary school age through senior in high school.
- The award is focused on individual or group achievement.
- The service must be voluntary and unpaid.
- The service must have occurred between March 15, 2021 and the present
- Note: Family and self-nominations will not be accepted.
Examples of types of service:
- Arts & Culture: Efforts involving museums, performing arts, historical sites and programs; ethnic and cultural exploration and education programs; awareness and education for the arts.
- Community Service: Service to improve a neighborhood or community.
- Education/Literacy: Service in schools or community-based learning programs from youth to seniors.
- Environment: Environmental education, public awareness, protection and/or enhancement.
- Health and Special Needs: Service providing physical and/or mental health care; substance-abuse prevention and/or rehabilitation.
- Human Needs: Child care; youth and community recreation; services to the elderly, people with disabilities, families, and/or children; assistance to homeless or impoverished persons/families; veterans/military families; housing and short-term crisis resolution; or social services.
- Public Safety/Disaster Management: Education about safety, assistance in disaster preparedness or helping victims of natural disaster.
- Social Justice/Advocacy/Economic Opportunity: Efforts to bring together diverse groups within the community that focus on creating and strengthening social ties and/or promote equity and justice.
Selection of Exemplary Youth Volunteers:
The City of Elmhurst Commission on Youth will coordinate the review and selection of Exemplary Youth Service Volunteers by a panel of independent judges from the Elmhurst community. The nominations will be reviewed and scored by independent judges using a rubric that includes the criteria reflected in the application. Selection of exemplary volunteers is done via a blind review process. Nominations will be accepted until March 15, 2022. Nominations received after this date will not be considered. Visit https://www.elmhurst.org/1291/Exemplary-Youth-Service-Award for the nomination form.