The City of Elmhurst will be making parking changes to the Central Business District (CDB). At the City Council Meeting held on October 5, 2021, the City Council approved a report presented by the Public Affairs and Safety Committee (PA&S). PA&S met on several occasions to discuss parking alternatives for the CBD. A global review of the current parking status and anticipated future demand along with input from City Centre and staff was taken into consideration. The approved changes reflect the City’s focus on turnover and availability of valued on-street parking spaces, the encouragement of longer customer visits to the downtown area by the use of parking structures, and ways to simplify the paid parking system. A detailed report of the PA&S recommendation can be found on the City’s website, Elmhurst.org.
APPROVED CHANGES TO PARKING IN THE CBD INCLUDE:
- All spaces along streets currently subject to 3-hour time usage restriction will be changed to 2-hour time usage restriction.
- All spaces in parking structures currently subject to a 3-hour time usage restriction will be changed to a 4-hour time usage restriction.
- The “Zone A” restriction will be eliminated.
- All current permit parking spaces on the first floor of the Adelaide parking structure will be changed to 4-hour customer only parking.
- 11 part-time employee parking spaces will be added on the 3rd level of the Adelaide parking structure.
- The current Elmhurst History Museum Only spaces (12) on the Crescent Court ring road will be changed to customer only parking. When needed for museum events, temporary signs may be posted to designate the spaces as parking for the museum only.
- All permit and daily fee spaces in the Downtown parking system will be converted to Pay Parking (permit or daily fee) to simplify the paid parking system and provide more convenient shopper parking when needed.
- 3-hour surface lot spaces will not change.
All sign changes will be performed by City of Elmhurst employees starting on October 19, 2021. Throughout the transition parking will be enforced as signed.
The full report to City Council on the CBD Parking changes can be viewed here: http://go.boarddocs.com/il/coe/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=C7ANCG5C358C .
For more information on parking in the CBD including parking permit applications, please visit https://www.elmhurst.org/561/Parking .