This Memorial Day, the City of Elmhurst will again be commemorating fallen veterans in a special and safe way. Although we are unable to hold the Memorial Parade due to COVID-19 guidelines, the “2021 Always Remember Memorial Day Convoy,” is a way for the community to continue traditions in a safe manner and proudly come together to pay respects and honor for those who have fallen.
The convoy will include first responder emergency vehicles and preselected special service and military vehicles only. The route will cover 16 miles of Elmhurst, with vehicles passing through each ward and will start at 9:30 a.m. CST. The route begins and ends at the Veteran's Memorial in Wilder Park, stepping off at 9:30 a.m. and concluding with a ceremony at 11:00 a.m. at the Memorial. The public is invited to attend the in-person ceremony at the Veteran’s Memorial.
We are encouraging interested spectators to participate in a variety of ways:
- Show your support by decorating the front of your home which could include posting your flag and adding a ribbon to your parkway tree. Ribbons will be provided by Elmhurst American Legion THB Post 187 for a donation of $1, $5, $10, $20, $25, $50 or $100. Ribbons ordered online will be safely home delivered to resident donors by the start of Memorial Day weekend and residents also can pick up ribbons at Post 180 (310 W. Butterfield) via a drive-thru table – more details to follow - check the website for updates.
- Visit the Elmhurst Police Department Facebook page for live coverage during the event.
- On Memorial Day at 5 p.m. CST, the ceremony will be played back from earlier in the day along with footage from the convoy and will be available to watch on Elmhurst TV’s YouTube page. This will also be available to watch on Comcast and AT&T Uverse at a later time.
- If your home is on the route, please consider parking your car at the end of your driveway and decorating your vehicle. You can turn your flashers on and wave as the convoy goes by.
- Listen to patriotic music while watching the convoy by tuning in to the Elmhurst University radio station WRSE on 88.7 FM, or stream the station online at www.wrse887fm.com.
The route is within a quarter-mile walk from most any home in Elmhurst and will traverse many open public parking spots. Feel free to take a walk to the route or find a public parking spot on the route to park your vehicle and watch the 2021 Always Remember Memorial Day Convoy. PLEASE REMEMBER TO PRACTICE PROPER SOCIAL DISTANCING AND SAFETY MEASURES. Stand at least 6 feet apart from one another and wear face masks (subject to change based on state requirements).
Please join us in commemorating this day in a safe and smart manner.