The City of Elmhurst has been notified that a City Hall Employee’s family member was exposed to an individual with a confirmed case of COVID-19. The employee and the employee’s relative are under self-quarantine at home and are not showing any signs of the virus.
The employee was at work earlier this week and did have contact with the general public during this time. The City of Elmhurst has consulted with the CDC and DuPage Health Department guidelines which advise that the risk of contracting the virus at a third-hand exposure level is greatly reduced unless symptoms are presented. The employee with third hand-exposure and the employee’s family member with second-hand exposure are both asymptomatic.
The City of Elmhurst will remain in contact with the employee and will coordinate with health officials on appropriate safety measures if this situation presents any changes and will communicate these changes with employees and the public.
Out of an abundance of caution, the City is taking safety measures which include cleaning and disinfecting public spaces in City facilities and employee work areas. Employees have been encouraged to follow best practices to prevent the spread of germs.
At this time the following procedures have been put in place:
- All city facilities will remain open for essential services, with the exception of the Elmhurst History Museum.
- All city facilities will postpone non-essential meetings, events and tours.
- Residents and visitors are encouraged to conduct city business online or by phone if possible.
- City staff will not be allowed to attended conferences.
- An additional supply of disinfecting wipes and sanitizers and other cleaning products throughout City Hall.
- While our buildings are cleaned daily, additional cleaning services will be provided this weekend.
- City employees are advised to maintain the CDC recommended distance of 6 feet from others.
- City council meetings are always recorded and live streamed on YouTube @ Elmhurst TV are also available to view on Comcast Channel 6 and AT&T U-Verse Channel 99. Residents are encouraged to watch these meetings at home.
City Manager, Jim Grabowski states, “While City Hall is open, we strongly recommend that you conduct any business online or by phone if possible. Our priority is to maintain the highest level of safety to our residents, employees and visitors. For this reason, we have established preventative and proactive measures to safeguard and reduce exposure to our community."
Residents are encouraged to remain calm and aware of the key measures to take in preventing the spread of illness which include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick with respiratory symptoms.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- If you have not already done so, discuss influenza vaccination with your health care provider to help protect you against seasonal influenza.
If you think you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 which include fever, cough, and shortness of breath it is advised that you stay home and contact your primary care provide by phone. Please only contact 9-1-1 if you have a life-threatening emergency.
If you have questions about Coronavirus- Call the Illinois Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Hotline 1(800) 889-3931 or send an email to: DPH.SICK@ILLINOIS.GOV Anytime, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Click here for the City of Elmhurst latest updates on COVID-19
For more background information on the coronavirus and for the latest updates from the CDC, please use the following links:
INFORMATION FROM COMMUNITY PARTNERS ON COVID-19:
Elmhurst Hospital: https://www.eehealth.org/coronavirus/
Elmhurst School District 205: https://www.elmhurst205.org/resources/health-services
Elmhurst Park District: https://www.epd.org
Elmhurst Public Library: https://elmhurstpubliclibrary.org
Elmhurst College: https://www.elmhurst.edu