1. To enforce the laws and ordinances of the city.
2. To appoint and remove, with certain restrictions, all directors of departments.
3. To attend all meetings of the City Council with the right to take part in the discussion but with no right to vote.
4. To recommend to the Council for adoption such measures as he may deem necessary or expedient.
5. To prepare and submit to the corporate authorities such information as may be necessary to assist the Mayor and the Council in adopting an annual budget.
6. To require all officers and department heads to submit necessary information for the purpose of preparing budget estimates.
7. To appoint, to remove and to fix the compensation of all appointed officers and employees not otherwise provided for.
8. To prescribe rules and regulations for the conduct of the various departments of the city and divisions thereunder.
9. To perform such duties as may be prescribed by state statute, municipal code, ordinance or resolution of the Council.
The City Manager is supported by the secretarial staff and administrative intern(s). In addition to the general management and administration responsibilities of the various city departments, the staff in the City Manager's office is charged with a wide variety of duties. Among these duties are community and intergovernmental relations, economic development, central business district revitalization, coordination of special projects and personnel contract negotiations. In addition, it provides staff support to various boards, commissions and committees, and shares in City Council agenda preparation with the City Clerk.
City administrators are readily available to the public and welcome the opportunity to meet with Elmhurst residents. The goal of the City management is to provide the best possible services to the public.
In 2015, City Council developed a strategic plan using significant input from residents that re-affirmed the City’s mission, values and goals. In 2018, the action plan was updated and goals were further developed, focusing on City Finances, Economic and Community Development, Public Safety and Stormwater Management. This plan helps us create an effective City government that focuses on improving the lives of Elmhurst residents and business owners. City Council and Staff constantly refer back to the plan to ensure that we are all taking action on these highlighted areas of local improvement.