- City Services
- Public Works
- Garbage, Recycling, Yard Waste, & Organic Waste
Garbage, Recycling, Yard Waste, & Organic Waste
The City has a waste collection and hauling contract with Republic Services of Melrose Park. Garbage, recyclables, and yard waste are picked up on the same day of the week. Pick-up days in the City of Elmhurst are Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. If you are unsure what day pick up is provided on your block, please view our garbage pick-up map(PDF), or call the Public Works Department at (630) 530-3020.
Please be sure your waste and recyclables are placed at the curb by 6:00 am on your pick-up day.
The contract offers the additional options listed below in the services:
- Spring clean up days remains
- Free leaf pick up for two cycles in the Fall remains
- 35-gallon toter option for waste only
- Organic (food scrap) recycling
- Recycling options for electronic and medical sharps for a fee. Click on link below for details.
The rates are as follows:
95-Gallon Toter $26.31 / month
65-Gallon Toter $20.41 / month
35-Gallon Toter $19.60 / month
Garbage Stickers $4.00/sticker
Yard Waste / Organic Waste Stickers $4.00/sticker
Organic Composting Toter Rental $19.00/month (Billed directly by Republic Services)
65-Gallon Recycling Toter Included with Garbage Toter
Utilities are billed bimonthly.
Missed on your Collection Day?
If you are missed on your regular collection day, please do not call that day. Call Republic Services the next day after your scheduled pick-up between 8:30 am - 11:00 am. at (708) 345-7050.
When a holidays listed below falls on a Sunday through Friday, pick-up will be delayed by one day for the remainder of that week. These holidays are:
The above holidays are the only holidays that the refuse pick up schedule is altered. Saturday holidays do not affect the pick up schedule.
Yard Waste and Brush Collection
Yard waste bags or containers may not exceed 33 gallons in size nor may they exceed 50 pounds in weight. Yard waste stickers cost $4.00 each and cost of the sticker covers the cost of collection and processing of yard waste. Affix stickers to the item where they can be clearly seen from the street. Be sure to include the proper number of stickers to ensure pick up.
Yard waste is collected from the week of April 1 through the week of November 30 when two free bundles of brush will be picked up each week and don't require a sticker.
Please follow these guidelines for preparing yard waste:
- Cans or bags of yard waste must have a yard waste sticker attached or they will not be collected.
- Cans need to be clearly marked "Yard Waste Only".
- Please use only bio-degradable paper bags for yard waste.
- Plastic bags will not be accepted.
- Yard waste will be collected at curbside only.
- Maximum weight of yard waste bags is 50 lbs.
- No single branch should have a diameter in excess of four inches and be no longer than four feet in length.
- Brush must be bundled.
Yard waste consists of grass clippings, twigs, leaves, plant material, etc.
Rocks, sod, bales of hay, cornstalks, and pumpkins are refuse and should not be placed in yardwaste cans or bags.
Vendor Names & Locations
To obtain solid waste and yard waste stickers, visit the following vendors:
|Convenient||418 N. York St., Elmhurst|
|Elmhurst Ace Hardware||145 E. First St., Elmhurst|
|Elmhurst City Hall||209 N. York St., Elmhurst|
|Jewel Food Stores||153 E. Schiller St., Elmhurst|
|Jewel Food Stores||944 S. York St., Elmhurst|
|Jewel Food Stores||33 E. St. Charles Rd., Villa Park|
|Jewel Food Stores||1127 S. York Rd., Bensenville|
|LeDonne's True Value||1750 Taft Ave., Berkeley|
|Mariano's Fresh Market||678 N. York St., Elmhurst. *Yard waste stickers only|
|NuCara Pharmacy||101 W. Vallette St., Elmhurst|
|Villa Park Ace Hardware||46 S. Villa Ave, Villa Park|
|Walgreens||160 N. Robert Palmer Dr., Elmhurst|
Large Item Pick-upRefuse waste stickers are $3.50. The cost of the sticker covers the cost of collection and processing of refuse waste. Affix refuse stickers to the item where they can be clearly seen from the street. Be sure to include the proper number of stickers to ensure pick up.
Household ItemsThe cost for one item on any week is one refuse sticker. More than one item set out on any particular week will cost two refuse stickers for each additional item. Household items consist of:
Please note: Large items may not be picked up when your regular refuse is picked up. A larger or different truck and an additional driver may be needed to remove these heavier items.
The cost for each item is two refuse stickers. Any additional items set out in the same week will also be two refuse stickers each. The City suggests that when you have new white goods delivered to your home, ask the retailer to take the old ones. White goods consist of:
If your refuse item does not fall into a category under Republic's Large Item Collection or if you have construction materials such as shingles, drywall, and other construction debris, please contact Republic Services the day prior to your regular pick-up day to arrange for a quote. You can reach Republic Services at (708) 345-7050.
Recycling Collection Guidelines
To find out which items are acceptable, view a list of recyclable items.
Please follow these container guidelines:
- In addition to your recycling cart, you may set out a limitless amount of recycling containers for collection.
- Stickers are not required on recycling containers.
- Recycling and refuse carts are the property of Republic Services and must be left for the new homeowner in the event that you should move.
Preparation of Materials
Please follow these guidelines when preparing recyclable materials:
- Non-paper materials may be commingled inside your blue recycling container.
- Do not place recyclable materials in plastic grocery bags.
- All recyclable materials should be rinsed free of food with caps and lids removed.
- Paper items do not need to be separated from non-paper items.
- Flatten all corrugated cardboard boxes, paperboard, and wet strength carrier stock, and remove any non-paper packing material.
- Cut or fold corrugated cardboard into 3' x 3' pieces, to fit into truck compartments. Bundle or bag corrugated cardboard, paperboard, and wet strength carrier stock.
- Recycle plastic bottles with caps on the bottles.
- For more information about recycling plastics, visit the Curbside Recycling Guide.
Organics Waste (April - November)
Organic wastes, such as food waste and yard waste, make up 25 to 50% of what people throw away. While you may not be able to compost all of the organic waste you generate, composting can significantly cut down on your overall trash.
Benefits of Composting:
- Enriches soil, helping retain moisture and suppress plant diseases and pests.
- Reduces the need for chemical fertilizers.
- Encourages the production of beneficial bacteria and fungi that break down organic matter to create humus, a rich nutrient-filled material.
- Reduces methane emissions from landfills and lowers your carbon footprint.
Source: From EPA.gov
Residents have the option to rent a 65-gallon organic waste toter from Republic Services at a cost of $19.00 per month. The toter can be used for leaves, grass and other organic waste (including fruits, vegetables, meat, etc.) as listed below. The organics material will be taken to a composting facility and will not be landfilled. There is no need to purchase yard waste stickers for the toter each week.
To utilize this service, contact Republic Services directly at 708-345-7050. The resident will be billed directly by Republic Services for this program.
If you choose to use your own container, a yard waste sticker is required.
Organic Waste - Acceptable items:
ALL items must be clean and free of any debris.
Organic Waste - Unacceptable Materials:
Additional Links & Information
DuPage County's Recycling Guide
SCARCE (School & Community Assistance for Recycling & Composting Education in DuPage County)
Director of Public Works
Phone: (630) 530-3020
Emergency: (630) 530-3050
Phone: (708) 345-7050
Make a Service Request