Organics Waste (April - November)
Organic wastes, such as food waste and yard waste, make up 25 to 50% of what people throw away. While you may not be able to compost all of the organic waste you generate, composting can significantly cut down on your overall trash.
Benefits of Composting:
- Enriches soil, helping retain moisture and suppress plant diseases and pests.
- Reduces the need for chemical fertilizers.
- Encourages the production of beneficial bacteria and fungi that break down organic matter to create humus, a rich nutrient-filled material.
- Reduces methane emissions from landfills and lowers your carbon footprint.
Source: From EPA.gov
Residents have the option to rent a 65-gallon organic waste toter from Republic Services at an initial cost of $17.50 per month. The toter can be used for leaves, grass and other organic waste (including fruits, vegetables, meat, etc.) as listed below. The organics material will be taken to a composting facility and will not be landfilled. There is no need to purchase yard waste stickers for the toter each week.
To utilize this service, contact Republic Services directly at 708-345-7050. The resident will be billed directly by Republic Services for this program.
If you choose to use your own container, a yard waste sticker is required.
Organic Waste - Acceptable items:
- Grass clippings
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meat (no bones)
- Egg shells
- Dairy---cheese, yogurt (no liquids)
- Paper bags
ALL items must be clean and free of any debris.
Organic Waste - Unacceptable Materials:
- NO packaging of any kind
- NO paper towels, napkins or other paper items allowed
- No cups, flatware, or paper products
- No labels
- No rubber bands
- No plastics
- No glass
- No liquids
- No milk or juices
- No beverages