Living Room and Bedroom Safety Guidelines
To identify and correct potential fire hazards in your living room and bedrooms, make sure to:
- Maintain good working condition of all doors and windows.
- Keep at least one smoke detector on every level of your home and inside or near all sleeping areas.
- Place space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn. This includes:
- Allow sufficient air space around TVs and stereos so they do not overheat.
- Work on having not too small or full ashtrays. Ashtrays need to be large, deep, and emptied often.
- Keep your fireplace in good working condition. Make sure to have a spark screen that is sturdy and clean your chimney periodically.
- Clear all exits in your home. Do not block by stored items or furniture.