Exemplary Youth Service Award
The City of Elmhurst’s Commission on Youth is currently seeking nominees for its 2023 Exemplary Youth Service Award. Eligibility requirements include:
- Volunteer must be an Elmhurst resident (Elmhurst address), live within School District 205 boundaries, or attend an Elmhurst school.
- Volunteer must be elementary school age through senior in high school.
- The award is focused on individual achievement.
- The service must be voluntary and unpaid.
- The service must have occurred between February 1, 2022 to present
Deadline March 1, 2023 to submit nominations.
Note: Family and self-nominations will not be accepted.
A ceremony will be held to honor the award recipients on April 19th at Sandburg Middle School at 7:00 p.m.
Examples of types of service:
- Arts & Culture: Efforts involving museums, performing arts, historical sites and programs; ethnic and cultural exploration and education programs; awareness and education for the arts.
- Community Service: Service to improve a neighborhood or community.
- Education/Literacy: Service in schools or community-based learning programs from youth to seniors.
- Environment: Environmental education, public awareness, protection and/or enhancement.
- Health and Special Needs: Service providing physical and/or mental health care; substance-abuse prevention and/or rehabilitation.
- Human Needs: Child care; youth and community recreation; services to the elderly, people with disabilities, families, and/or children; assistance to homeless or impoverished persons/families; veterans/military families; housing and short-term crisis resolution; or social services.
- Public Safety/Disaster Management: Education about safety, assistance in disaster preparedness or helping victims of natural disaster.
- Social Justice/Advocacy/Economic Opportunity: Efforts to bring together diverse groups within the community that focus on creating and strengthening social ties and/or promote equity and justice.
- Recognition of all Volunteers:
- The recipient will be recognized at city hall during a city council meeting with their guests also present.
Selection of Exemplary Youth Volunteers:
The City of Elmhurst Commission on Youth will coordinate the review and selection. Selection is done via a blind review process.
Nominations will be accepted until March 1, 2023. Nominations received after this date will not be considered.
Please contact Jackie.Haddad-Tamer@elmhurst.org with any questions.